I spent some time today sketching some landscapes, plants, and flowers at a nearby preserve. It would be good to expand on the few kinds of flowers and trees that are making up some of my imagery. Another good place to go is the Botanical Gardens, the Science Museum, and family gardens. The nice thing about the institutions is the variety that goes beyond a particular region. This sketch was done in the "junk" sketchbook that is meant for visual notes and practice of weak areas. With it go notes on size and groupings; if they grow in small groups of 3 or 4, or in a field of many. In Digital Mixed Media this year, I had them do a one week assignment slotted within a three week assignment, where they would sketch a vegetable in natural light and take notes on color. They would then take that sketch to lab and render it as best they could. I had picked up a bunch of vegetables the night before. After, one of them took them home to cook them but he never told me if they were any good.
Sunday, May 31, 2009
Plein Air
I spent some time today sketching some landscapes, plants, and flowers at a nearby preserve. It would be good to expand on the few kinds of flowers and trees that are making up some of my imagery. Another good place to go is the Botanical Gardens, the Science Museum, and family gardens. The nice thing about the institutions is the variety that goes beyond a particular region. This sketch was done in the "junk" sketchbook that is meant for visual notes and practice of weak areas. With it go notes on size and groupings; if they grow in small groups of 3 or 4, or in a field of many. In Digital Mixed Media this year, I had them do a one week assignment slotted within a three week assignment, where they would sketch a vegetable in natural light and take notes on color. They would then take that sketch to lab and render it as best they could. I had picked up a bunch of vegetables the night before. After, one of them took them home to cook them but he never told me if they were any good.
Labels:
Tree